Virginia Skye

Virginia Skye

Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Infamous Lump That's Taking Over My Life

I usually like to try and keep my posts light and optimistic. But I feel like I owe it to my faithful readers to be honest and upfront about an issue I have been dealing with lately. So I apologize in advance for the dreary tone of this post.

In November of last year, my doctor spotted a lump below my left shoulder blade. Judging by the size and texture of the bump. he diagnosed it as a lipoma (which is just a benign mass of fatty tissue). Here's a picture taken yesterday:
Because he was largely unconcerned about it, we decided to take the "wait and see" approach. In the following couple of months, hubbs and I noticed that the lump was growing and growing. Around the end of February, I decided to make an appointment with my dermatologist to get a second opinion. My dermatologist immediately decided that this medical issue was beyond the scope of his practice, so he referred me to a general surgeon. In keeping with the original diagnosis, my surgeon decided it would be best to remove the lump, because of how quickly it was increasing in size. Yesterday was the "big day". As I was prepping for surgery, getting my IV inserted and such, the surgeon decided he wanted to run the ultrasound machine over the lump and see what exactly was inside. What he found inside changed the whole game plan. Turns out the lump itself was a fluid-filled sick that was the result of many small tumors in the soft tissue of my middle back. The surgeon decided it would be best to drain the fluid and send it to the lab. Once we receive lab results, we will be able to determine what steps we need to take next. The doctor stated that, regardless of the outcome, these tumors will need to be removed through a fairly serious & invasive surgery that could damage muscles of my middle back and shoulder. It was also mentioned that this issue might be best dealt with by an oncologist at the UC Davis Hospital in Sacramento. Anytime the word "oncologist" is spoken, there is the assumption that the "C' word is present, which is enough to scare the bajeezus out of anyone.

I kept thinking all throughout the afternoon yesterday, and into the evening that turned into a sleepless night, that someone is trying to play a horrible April Fool's joke on me. This absolutely cannot be happening. What a rude awakening it is to go in for a seemingly minor outpatient surgery, only to find out that the course of your life could be changing forever.

During times like these, I find it helpful to refer to two of my favorite passages in the bible:

In all ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Proverbs 3:6
With God, all things are possible. Matthew 19: 26


I know that the best I can do right now is lean on my faith to keep strong, and to put my life in God's hands, for He has a plan for each and every one of us.

Thank you to our friends and family for your support and prayers.

7 comments:

Justin & Emily said...

Randi, I am so sorry to hear about this lump business! I will be thinking of you during this time of "waiting". It's never easy. Hang in there!!

Corinne said...

Randi pan! Holy crap doll, I am so sorry to hear about the potential seriousness of this...call me if I can help in anyway!! We will be thinking and praying for ya!

Michelle said...

OMG I had no idea. I am so Sorry! I can't even believe this is happening. I will be praying for you! Love You

Ashley said...

Oh wow Randi! I have been seeing your updates about doctors appointments and whatnot and wondering if you're okay! I hope everything turns out alright. I think because you've been pretty proactive you should be able to get answers fast and take care of everything...Thinking of you and praying!

laura said...

Hi Pat- Thank god for your post and photo-

Just recently My daughter notiiced a hard lump on my right upper back right under my shoulder blade.

I was laying on my stomach when she noticed it, she asked if it hurt I replied no. I didnt even notice that it was there.

This was about a week ago, Ive been checking my self out in the mirror and do now notice that my right side is much different then my left.. As I feel the lump it feels loose and soft like if I have fluid inside.. Im really scared and dont really know what to do

Maggie Kopp - Martin said...

I just stumble on your blog after searching large lumps in the back shoulder blade area and seeing your picture. I have a very similar large lump on the right side. This has me wondering if I have a similar issue. Did you have any symptoms? I am having sharp shooting pain down the arm and in the armpit area. I want to be an advocate for myself but, I am clueless on what questions to ask and I lack the knowledge and information to convince a deeper look.

Thank you
Maggie M

Unknown said...

Hi Rand, I stumbled across your post while looking for medical cases to feature on our upcoming program. We are looking for individuals across the country who are suffering from a medical ailment to share their story on our program. If they are chosen to participate, our production company will pay for 100% of their medical expenses. If you are interested In hearing more about the opportunity, I would love to connect with you. lrscasting [at] gmail [dot] com