Virginia Skye

Virginia Skye

Monday, May 25, 2009

Home Sweet Home

I am pleased to announce that, upon breaking my personal record for the most nights spent in the hospital (something I am NOT very proud of), I was finally discharged today!

I have mixed feelings about being home. Don't get me wrong, the last thing I want is to "donate" more to the money making venture that the healthcare industry has become. But the nightmare of Friday evening/night replays over and over in my head, and I am not sure that I have the emotional (or physical) strength to go through that again. I trust my doctor's judgement, but I also have my reservations, being that the physician's assistant told me not to worry when the "Great Blood Flood" first began on Friday night.

So I guess it's time to update on the events that transpired to get my doctor to sign my discharge orders. I had a contrast scan last night (man that iodine shot is one crazy sensation!), and the results looked normal, meaning there were no hematomas or clots. They had again restricted my food and water intake after breakfast yesterday, so I was allowed to eat again at about 9:00 last night, as surgery was ruled out indefinitely. Praise the Lord!!!

This morning my doctor did his rounds with his "posse" (UC Davis is a teaching hospital, so there are about 7-8 doctors, including residents, that travel with Dr. Khatri). He made the decision that he would start to transition me off of IV pain medication, and send me off with a prescription for Folic Acid and Iron to help replace some of the lost blood. Transfusion was officially ruled out because my numbers increased slightly and stabilized in my blood draws taken last night. I have struggled for most of the day with pain management. I find that the pain is significantly worse now than it was during the first go-around.

So here I sit with about 5 different medications, again laid-up on the couch. I detest living on the 3rd floor right now, being that I have to stop and pause after each flight. My doctor has recommended that I get up and walk around a little bit, but at the risk of passing out and falling down the stairs, the only walking I'll be doing is laps in my apartment. Ugh. I don't ever recall feeling this exhausted.

I am so grateful that we reacted the way we did, and went to the ER to get the care I needed. But it also feels like a huge setback. After having done everything right, it's so frustrating to be in this position again. Who would think that a small snag would cause such a major problem?

We're really hoping that this will be the last blog update on "the lump" for awhile. But as we have learned, life can be very unpredictable.

Hope you all had a better weekend than we did. :)

3 comments:

Julie H. said...

hang in there.....take different laps...mix it up a bit. have your husband get you a cain...ten bucks at kmart. eat lots of red meat like i said.....only so much of the iron pills actually work there way into your body. the rest store in your kidneys. not good. it took me about three weeks before i felt the effects of increased iron so hang in there. I know the exhaustion. Just take it one step and one day at a time.

Justin & Emily said...

Randi....Randi....my lord woman!!! You have endured SO much with this "lump". Life is so unpredictable and you are so very lucky to be documenting this...and that ONE day you can look back and say "holy shi*t I went through alot for that mass on my back!" I am so glad you're okay...again, and that you have the strength to update us. Bless your hubs!!! What a guy....

Amanda said...

Oh hello dear, I am so glad you're home! Just know that I love you and I am in awe of your strength and all you've been through! Talk to you soon!