Virginia Skye

Virginia Skye

Sunday, January 31, 2010

This is what's dominating my thoughts these days...


This is not just any random selection of social work books. No siree. This is what $350 in grad school books looks like. Four books, two of which are used and in fairly crappy condition. And I'm looking at spending another $200 more for books this semester that I will be ordering online. Don't even get me started on the the decrease in class offerings in combination with the increased tuition. Because those two things together equal a poorer quality of education for California college undergraduate and graduate students statewide. Today is one of those days when I'm wondering whether or not grad school was a good life choice. Feel free to attempt to convince me otherwise...

3 comments:

Justin & Emily said...

Graduate school is a GOOD choice! Take it from a fellow (almost graduated) grad-student. It seems like a total waste of time and money BUT the doors this degree will open for us is amazing. I have been at this for 3 long years- ever since I graduated from MSU. You will reach a point where you won't have to buy books anymore. And if you have an internship you will be so much happier!!! No classes for an entire semester, you will just be working in your field of choice! Stick with it Randi!!! You are one of two girls from MSU who have gone on to grad school with me....we have to represent! :)

Ran said...

Thanks for the encouragement Emily. I really need it right now, with as bad as the economy is here and seeing how many social workers are losing their jobs, I guess it's just bad timing for me. Unfortunately, I won't ever have just an internship, unless I decide to move forward with getting my hours completed to pursue getting an LCSW license. I guess it's just overwhelming with everything at once (I know you know what I mean). Thanks again, you're a sweetheart! :)

Michelle said...

Not fun! But I am proud of you for doing it! It will be worth it in the end.