Virginia Skye

Virginia Skye

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Famous in a Small Town

Do y'all (It's this new thing I'm trying out, **See Footnote) think its weird that I keep dreaming about Kenny Chesney & Miranda Lambert songs or waking up with lyrics randomly stuck in my head???

I'm guessing it's just the residual affects from listening to 5+ hours of country music last Saturday night. We had an absolute blast in San Francisco at this concert! Even better, the tickets were free (Pat got them through work), so we justified spending big bucks on a room 8 blocks away from the stadium so we wouldn't have to worry about driving all the way back to Sac. Here are a few pics from the concert:


The concert was supposed to be Lady Antebellum, Sugarland, Miranda Lambert, and Kenny Chesney. Sugarland cancelled, unfortch. But we had a great time nonetheless! I love love love Miranda Lambert, and this concert showcased just how beautiful her voice is. If you've never heard of her, please click here to hear my favorite song of hers.





Here is the only decent pic I was able to get of Kenny, because of how far away our seats were and the whole lighting issue.


Let me tell you, one of the most interesting parts of this concert, aside from the acts themselves, was the entertainment provided by people-watching. It's not everyday that a huge country music act comes to a city known for its flamboyance (for lack of a better word). The concert-goers at this event were truly the most diverse group of people that I have ever seen in one condensed area. I entertained myself before the concert by pointing out the real Stetson hat and Wrangler wearing cowboys/girls from those who went to the nearest trendy mall store for a cheap pair of boots and straw hat. Some (read: Pat) call this strange; I call it talent. What can I say? I'm a country girl.

Which brings me to my footnote about use of the word "y'all''. Upon discussion with my husband and a few close friends, it has been unanimously decided that I should have been born in the south. I'm thinking Georgia, specifically. Why, you ask? First of all, I heart sweet tea. It's my new drink of choice. And should McDonalds ever stop selling it, I will resort to making it myself, ungodly amounts of sugar and all. 2. I have been craving southern comfort food. Patrick can attest to this, as I spent the majority of the day in the kitchen a few weeks ago, making fried chicken and creamy mashed potatoes for dinner. And it was delicious! Now if I could only find a recipe for hushpuppies... 3. I think the word "y'all" should be grandfathered in to Webster's dictionary as a socially appropriate word for everyday interaction. As much as I have tried to incorporate it into my daily conversations with people, I still get weird looks and friends laughing in my face. But I tell ya what, I would rather hear "y'all" then the word "hella" any day of the week.

Maybe I am living in the wrong state. Lori & Lynn, we might be South Carolina bound soon, if I don't get rid of this "Southern Fever".

Well, I'm off to Portland, see y'all in Montana next week!!!!!


2 comments:

Amy Moore said...

But the real question is... do you know the plural form of y'all? drum roll.... all y'all. And yes after living in Atlanta for a year, I can assure you "all y'all" is used a lot!

Corinne said...

I love reading your notes Ran, you have a way with words my dear! If you are going for the whole down south aspect I recommend a lot of "bless thems" also. According to several of my southern friends you can say anything about someone and it is okay as long as you "bless them" after saying it:)