Virginia Skye

Virginia Skye

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Feeling God

I'm reading this book called "Velvet Elvis" by a pastor named Rob Bell.  A friend actually loaned it to me following a long discussion one day about how tragedy can shake one's faith.  This book has been enlightening, to say the least.  I won't get too into detail, but many of this pastor's thoughts on Christianity really resonate with me.  Specifically, he talks about moments when you find yourself a part of something so much larger than words can describe, where you feel so overwhelmed with joy.  In these moments, we realize that we are all one, tied together by something massive and loving and transcendent. In these moments, we feel God all around us.

Yesterday, I had one of those moments.  As we began walking in the March of Dimes Walk for Babies, surrounded by thousands of other families who have all been affected by infant loss or prematurity, something ignited within me that almost brought me to tears.  Although I was in the midst of many families who've experienced pain and heartache, there was no sadness.  On the contrary, I felt tremendous love for all of these people, people who are relative strangers to me.  I felt joy and exhilaration.  I felt like I was a part of something so much larger than myself.  I felt God, there, with all of us, with all of our babies, both those in our arms and strollers, and those looking down on us from heaven.  It was truly a magical, emotional experience.




We walked with our friends Gregg and Lisa, who have become good friends of ours (we met through our support group):




Gregg and Lisa's son, Luke, is adorable.  He has such personality, and is such a little sweetheart (and he loves the ladies).  I am just in love with this kid!  

I have never seen an 11-month old who's so well-behaved and happy.  He started out riding on dad's shoulders...

...but then he became VERY sleepy.  

He woke up from his nap in great spirits, ready to rock and roll again!  We detoured near the end of the walk to a delicious restaurant in midtown for lunch...

...and with a full tummy, he was out again.  

I've been spending the remainder of the weekend recuperating (my morning sickness had me down so much for the first couple months that I put a halt to all physical activity so this mama is OUT OF SHAPE).  Since we got home yesterday, I've pretty much felt like Luke looks in that last picture.

But I wouldn't trade the exhaustion or the sore knees and hips for anything.  This experience was so incredibly powerful and wonderful.  I can't wait until next year.




1 comment:

MichelleG said...

I have goosebumps after reading this (and all your blog entries). I can't wait to buy your first published book (hint hint).

What an amazing event/experience to be part of the March for Dimes walk. I want to do it next year in honor of Virginia. Can I walk with you?