Virginia Skye

Virginia Skye

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Encouragement for Other Loss Moms


I'm copying and pasting some of this from an email I just sent to a fellow baby loss mom girlfriend who experienced the fairly recent loss of her full-term daughter.  I hope she doesn't mind...  ;)

I just read an excerpt in a book today that one of my girlfriends suggested.  The book is called "Tiny Beautiful Things".  I haven't read the whole thing (only a piece of it that I was able to preview on Kindle).  My understanding is that the author has a regular advice column that runs in a newspaper or magazine or something, where people write in with their problems, and she gives them insight and advice.  It seems she published a book which included a variety of advice columns she's written over the years.  The very first column is a question from a woman who lost her baby at 24 weeks and is having a hard time moving forward with her life and feeling "stuck" and like nobody understands.  This was her advice, which I thought was particularly powerful: 

"Don't listen to those people who suggest that you should be "over" your daughter's death by now.  The people who squawk the loudest about such things have almost ever had to get over anything.  Or at least not anything as genuinely, mind-fuckingly, soul-crushingly life altering.  Some of those people believe they're being helpful by minimizing your pain.  Others are scared of the intensity of your loss and so they use their words to push your grief away.  Many of those people love you and are worthy of your love, but they are not the people who will be helpful to you when it comes to healing the pain of your daughter's death.  

They live on Planet Earth.  You live on Planet My Baby Died.

It seems to me that you feel like you're all alone there.  You aren't.  There are women reading this right now who have tears in their eyes.  They are women who have spent their days chanting daughter, daughter, or son, son silently to themselves.  Women who have been privately tormented about the things they did or didn't do that they fear caused the deaths of their babies.  You need to find those women.  They're your tribe."

I so wish I would have had someone tell me these things in those early weeks. I needed to hear all of this.  Every.single.word.  This woman articulated in a matter of a few hundred words, what has taken me almost 10 months to figure out on my own.  So I wanted to put this out there to look back on during the sad days in the future, and for any other loss moms that happen to come across my blog.  



No comments: