Virginia Skye

Virginia Skye

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day

I'm not going to sugar coat it.  This day has been hell for me.  This has been by far the hardest holiday we've faced since losing Virginia almost exactly 9 months ago.  My butt has firmly been parked on the couch since Friday morning, when the emotions of Mother's Day first hit.  I've spent the better part of the last 3 days crying into my roll of toilet paper (we're out of Kleenex).  The roll that started off as a double on Friday is down to about 4 squares now.  We did escape for a little dinner out last night, and we ventured to the grocery store earlier today, but other than that, I've done little besides cry, watch tv, and nap all weekend.  The one accomplishment I'm very proud of this weekend is Virginia's chest.  This chest was given to us by a friend, and needed some modernizing and TLC.  It's truly been a labor of love for Patrick over the last few weekends.  He's spent countless hours stripping and sanding, staining, then stripping again when his finicky wife didn't like the stain.  God bless him.  It was completed a week or so ago and brought into the house, but I wanted to wait for a "special occasion" to find the perfect spot for it and meticulously arrange Virginia's things inside.  That time came this evening.  So without further ado, here are a few pics:



It's absolutely perfect!  I am in love with the way it turned out, and the fact that it's big enough to fit all of her stuff in.  This was the bright spot to my otherwise sad, weepy weekend.

Happy Mother's Day to all mothers out there.



3 comments:

Breanna Polacik said...

The chest turned out SO beautiful! Sending you my love!

MichelleG said...

What a tough weekend! :( I love the chest - what a great way to capture all those memories and momentos for sweet Virginia. xoxo

Kendra said...

I'm sorry you had a rough weekend, I did too. :( Your chest turned out absolutely beautiful. Sending you a big hug! :)